Study 1 on 1 with Andrew Lippa, John McDaniel, and more with BOOM’s Musical Theatre Composing/Writing Series
NOW OFFERING OBSERVATION ONLY TICKETS
Participants will share song, lyrics, and script and receive live feedback from Broadway masters
Broadway Composer and Musical Director
Credits: Fun Home, Spring Awakening, Mary Poppins, Bea and Ben: A New Musical
● Various song structures within musical theater writing
● When characters need to sing
● Various genres of songs within a musical
● Participants will play a recording of a song they have written and will receive live feedback from Micah Young.
Broadway Orchestrator and Composer, Grammy and Emmy winner and Tony nominee
Credits: Annie Get Your Gun, Rosie O’Donnell Show, Catch Me if You Can, Bonnie and Clyde, Brooklyn.
- What we want songs to accomplish
- How to artfully transition from dialogue to a song
- How to build a number
- Participants will play a recording of a song they have written and will receive live feedback from John McDaniel.
Broadway Lyricist and Librettist/Tony nominee
Credits: Side Show, Pageant, Up in the Air, Elegies for Angels, Punks and Raging Queens
● Understanding the mechanics of rhyme schemes and scansion
● Understanding the importance of meter and syllabic phrasing within lyrics
● How to write lyrics and the musical for a book
● How to produce a musical
● Participants will share lyrics or a section of a script they have written and receive live feedback from Bill Russell.
Broadway Lyricist and Librettist /Emmy nominee
Credits: Vampirina, The Noteworthy Life of Howard Barnes
- Various ways to move from scene to song and how to accomplish this
- Establishing the concept of the musical: the vocabulary and the colors and sounds used to tell the story
- Participants will share lyrics or a section of a script they have written and will receive live feedback from Chris Dimond.
Broadway Librettist and Film Screenwriter / Tony nominee
Credits: Legally Blonde and Freaky Friday (film)
● The nature of adaptation
● Adapting a book, movie, or play into a musical
● Participants will share lyrics or a section of a script they have written and will receive live feedback from Heather Hach.
Broadway Composer/Tony nominee and Drama Desk winner
Credits: The Wild Party, Addams Family, Big Fish
● The process of rewriting
● Taking in notes for consideration
● The responses from audiences
● Working the show: readings, workshops, out-of-town performances
● Participants will play a recording of a song they have written and will receive live feedback from Andrew Lippa.
BOOM — Broadway Official Online Masterclass — presents a rare opportunity to study one-on-one with six of Broadway’s hottest composers, librettists, and lyricists. Aspiring composers and writers will present their work to Broadway masters working in the industry and receive live feedback during weekly sessions of the Musical Theatre Composing/Writing Series.
The first two weeks are complete. The remaining 4 week intensive spans Oct. 31 through Nov. 21 and features two three-hour sessions each week — Saturdays at 11 a.m. (EST)/4PM GMT with the guest artist and Tuesdays at 5 p.m. for review and discussion with the series host. Please note, sessions will be recorded for future access, in order to accommodate the busy schedules of the paid participants.
We have adjusted our prices to reflect the 4 remaining weeks and buyers can choose to participate in each class (includes a class each Tuesday) or simply observe each class.
The Musical Theatre Composing/Writing Series was created for songwriters, scriptwriters, and lyricists who may have a musical in the works or are at the beginning stages of a project. The series is limited to 15 participants to ensure personalized instruction and active discussion.
€395 per person
€110 to observe all 4 classes
€110 per person to participate in a single class
€35 to observe